The summer solstice happened on Wednesday night so I guess it’s officially summer now. Here’s what you need to get you through the dog days ahead.
1. A great sunscreen for your face. My dermatologist recommended this EltaMD sunscreen after giving me a lecture on the aging effects of the sun. Yeah, yeah, yeah… I went to beauty school and I’m fully aware that 80% to 90% of aging comes from the sun. My complaint of sunscreens are that they feel heavy on my face and make me look shiny. If you have oily or combination skin like I do, EltaMD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46 is your answer. It’s very light, absorbs quickly, and leaves my skin looking matte.
2. Texturizing spray for creating messy summer waves OR humidity control product. For days when it’s just too hot to blow dry your hair, a good “beach” or “salt” product is essential for girls with straight or wavy hair. My choice is Oribe Apres Beach Wave and Shine Spray. Apply it into damp hair; tousle, scrunch, and/or twist and then let it air dry. Already have curly or wavy hair? Try a humidity fighting product like Oribe’s Impermeable Anti-humidity Spray. Most good hairsprays will also help lock out moisture.
3. Lip stain that actually works. Whether you are hitting an all-day music festival or a friend’s barbecue, you may want to have a little color on your face without having to worry about it wearing (or melting) off. You may also not want to see your lipstick all over your hot dog bun. Enter lip stain. Now, I’m not normally a fan of lip stains because I think they are hard to apply and are too drying. But the folks at Smashbox did themselves a solid when they sent me one of these babies to try out. They KNEW I would love it and post about it and here we are. This stain goes on smoothly (a revelation!), lasts forever, and comes with a moisturizing balm. My color is guava but I want them all.
4. Sweet smelling body oil. Does anything feel better than a shower after a day at the beach? Yes. Following that shower with a delicious body oil like this light sesame concoction from Neutrogena. Don’t dry off completely and mix a little oil with the water droplets on your skin. Then air dry. They way your skin feel and smell is WAY worth the time. Trust me, this is one of my favorite summer indulgences. (You can do this all year long if you live somewhere warm enough to air dry in the winter…)
5. A kick of color for your nails. Brighten up your day with a fun summer color on your nails. And don’t give me any “I’m to old for…” bullshit, either. Do it, own it, feel sassy. I’m loving the Beach Collection from Zoya. And these vegan-friendly polishes are formaldehyde, toluene, dibutyl phthalate (DBP) and camphor free.